Saturday, December 19, 2009

Best Way I Have Found to Authenticate a Handbag

As the owner of an on line store that sells Handbags, I am always being asked if my handbags are authentic.  I have a policy that Luxfiend will only sell authentic items or you get all your money back.  

I didn't realize how much of a problem this actually was until I opened up my web site.   I get a lot of people asking if the handbags are authentic or if they could get additional pictures to get the handbag authenticated.  I have hear horror stories about people purchasing items on line that are listed as authentic and then when the handbag arrives, it turns out to be a fake.  Typically, eBay seems to be the place where people get ripped off the most.

The best place to authenticate any handbag that I have come across is the Purse Forum.  You can find it at http://forum.purseblog.com/authenticate-this/.   The reason this is so good is there are thousands of people working together as a community to help determine authenticity of any handbag.   They have a lot of different designers and typically the people that help out and are knowledgeable enough to determine if a handbag is fake or not.

If you are in doubt if you are about to buy a handbag, I would highly suggest asking the seller for a few pictures, such as the back of the zipperhead, a serial number tag (if there is one) and other shots that could be used to authenticate the handbag.  Once you have some additional pictures, then post them on the Purse Forum and let your fellow handbag enthusiasts help you out.